Rhodes Island: An Introduction to an Earthy Paradise

Rhodes Islandno no no, I am not referring to the Rhode island in the US ... Rhodes Island in Greece has nothing to do with that….and in case you have not heard of it before, please let me enlighten you!-

So, I was about to say that Rhodes Island….is the ultimate place to visit! And in case you have not done so yet, take my advice and put Rhodes in your vacation schedule!

In the southeaster Mediterranean sea, in a Greek island complex known as Dodecanese Islands (in Greek Dodecanisa, meaning the 12 islands) you will find Rhodes, Rhodes which is known as the island of the Knights, the island of sun…but let me put things straight!

Rhodes: The island of the Knights

Back in 1309 the Knights Hospitaller conquered the island of Rhodes, which up to that time belonged to the Byzantine Empire. These Knights when then named after the island, as Knights of Rhodes and today the island is referred to often as the island of the Knights.

But has the influence of these Knights been that great? Oh yes! It is one out of the few Greek islands that is build according to the European medieval idea, and today the remnants of these era make an impression to any visitor. Most famous of all is the Palace of the Grand Master, which is located in the old city of Rhodes.

It is a place you should definitely visit as soon as you arrive to the island, as it is one of the few that well remained castles open to the public. Take your time and wander around the dark rooms of the Palace – as you want find many “dark” places on the island of the sun!-. Walk through the gardens surrounding the Palace…oh I miss some much that scene;

the high palm trees, the bright sun, the palace are all so romantic that you feel like you are able to travel through the ages and find yourself in a passed, forgotten era!

But lets not get that sentimental – let me narrate why Rhodes is...

The island of the of the Sun

It is not a coincidental fact that the ancient Greek dedicated the island of Rhodes to the god of the sun. The amount of sunlight Rhodes receives cannot be compared to any other Aegean island. 300 days of the year sunshine…and not any kind of sunshine…The sunlight I felt during my visits to Rhodes is something I have not seen at any other place of the world I’ve visited. It is so bright and so sweet at the same time. The climate of that island is ideal!

So, I would even recommend vacation during wintertime on Rhodes – though you will have to be braver than me, at least, to dive into the island’s beautiful waters at that time of the year.

And I believe it’s high time we talked about the Beaches of Rhodes island.

There are so many, and they are so beautiful, that I think I have to dedicate a unique article to them, but trying to sum up in a few words, the beaches of Rhodes are incredible- and I am not exaggerating. The island is that big that offers beaches for all types of visitors and all tastes- cosmopolitan beaches as well as quite ones, pebble beaches as well as beaches with golden sand, small and private-alike beaches and beaches with a colorful happy crowd!

I think I wont have space enough to write hereabout the island’s monuments, its history, Rhodes Hotels and tips for the visitors and all the other reasons that make Rhodes island an earthy paradise…but if you found all mentioned above interesting, then just wait a bit until my next Rhodes island article arrives!

Hi World! I am Pavlos and I am here to enlighten you with all the knowledge I have gained from my travelling experience - and believe me it is a lot. I've been to all the continents (ok I admit...I never got the chance to visit Australia up to know), but I never found a place I love more than my birthcountry...Greece! So as soon as I get bored, writing articles about Greece, I'll share with you my experiences from the rest of the world!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Pavlos_Mirmigakos

1 comment:

Greek Islands said...

Historically, Rhodes was famous worldwide for the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World